Last year I cooked and styled a shoot for Retrofit Republic's Tastemaker's Lookbook, and one of my favorite dishes was a salad featuring a medley of seasonal citrus. The other day, while the baby napped and I had a good hour to myself, I realized that I could whip up this refreshing salad and take a nap too, so I got right to it. My days and nights have been so swamped lately, which made me realize that I needed a bit of vitamin C to boost my energy. I realized that I never shared the recipe with you, so here it is again with a plateful of ruby red grapefruit, oro blanco (literally means "white gold" in Spanish and is the pale, white cousin to the grapefruit & pomelo), plump Satsumas, and juicy Moro blood oranges.
Grapefruit & Blood Orange Salad
Adapted from Saveur Thai Pomelo Salad
• 2 grapefruits/oro blanco, peeled and supremed, juices reserved
• 2 blood oranges, peeled and supremed, juices reserved
• 2 fresh or frozen Thai chili peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 tsp fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 tbs cashew halves
• 20 mint leaves, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup fish sauce
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tbs lemon juice
- • 1 tbs palm sugar (add more to taste)
- 1. Whisk fish sauce, sugar, chilis, citrus juices, lemongrass, red onion, and garlic in a bowl. Stir in grapefruit, oranges, and cashews. Sprinkle with mint leaves and enjoy!